Thursday, October 13, 2005

Busy, Busy,Busy


I've been doing a lot more than usual. Sunday I went to Berkeley and had a wonderful visit with my daughter Eva. We walked from her house through the UC Berkeley campus. It's a lovely campus but, in my mind doesn't compare to her alma mater UC Santa Cruz. We discussed graduate school options and the high cost of those options. I put myself in a funk about the fact that I do not have the resources to be of much help with the costs. She is an incredible woman and will be of tremendous service to those who she meets on her path.

Monday I got back in town and then went with Ellen to see one of my favorite bands CAKE. I have known John McCrea, the driving force of the band, and his family since he was a teenager and attending the Sacramento Waldorf School. He write incredibly well crafted songs. I remember when he used to have the goal of making enough money to afford health insurance. I think he has been successful. The concert was a benefit for Habitat for Humanity and a fund for New Orleans Musicians who need health care and can't afford it. John's suggestion was to go out and buy an album by Professor Longhair, one of the legendary New Orleans piano players and composers. He would really appreciate the revenue, which he has received little of compared to the tremendous gift he gave to the evolution of American music. You can check out what CAKE is about at www.cakemusic.com.

Tuesday and Wednesday, I have been getting rid of a virus I got on my computer, securing it to the max, and getting Ellen's computer secured. She just got comcast cable internet. They never bothered telling her about how to secure her computer or even how to access her email. I got virus protection loaded for her, ran a scan for viruses and she had seven trojans on her computer. I'm baffled by how people who aren't technically knowledgeable are supposed to operate on the malicious seas of the internet. It keeps me hopping and I've been involved with personal computers since their introduction to the marketplace. We have anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-spam, firewalls, browser security, phishing blah, blah, blah. There is software to protect but it needs maintained, properly configured and even then things happen. I learned that windows XP often has a few steps you have to do manually, even if your anti-virus protection caught the virus before it executed. Then Wednesday I got my new issue of PC WORLD and it is a "Special Security Issue". I think part of my calling might be to get back up to speed on my knowledge and become a home computer security consultant.

God is Great.

Peace, Alan

No comments: