Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Response to a Friend


I wrote this in response to the email of a friend. It was maybe more valuable to me to put some of these thoughts about how I face the darkness that pervades the planet. I thought I would share it with you.

It's been a long, long time since I've partied in Central Park (try 1969). Spent the night there on acid, bonfire in the trash can, after Procol Harem and Ainsley Dunbar at the Fillmore East. Some of Ainsley Dunbar were there. We found nothing but love and peace there at that time.

My take on spirituality: Confrontation and force will only cause more destruction. The militarists have armed the planet to the teeth. I blow you up, you blow me up, I blow more of you up, you blow more of me up and on and on.

Ekhart Tolle points out that the growing force of love and light is just as active as the growing forces of darkness. The darkness is just "louder". I believe that the only solution lies in our personal spiritual development. As I become more en-light-end, I have an effect on those I meet and stimulate them to further growth, and they effect the ones they meet and so on and so on. The quantum physicists point out that the speed and intensity with which activity is increasing can only lead to annihilation or a quantum shift in global consciousness. Others look at critical mass. As more and more are en-light-end and develop mindfulness, compassion and the capacity to love, that a point will be reached where the numbers of those in the light will catalyze a shift. As one of my teachers points out, this does not mean sitting around in bliss waiting for this to happen. When we see injustice, we should respond. Being of service to en-light-enment requires compassionate action, both inner and outer.

I can't drink one drink to relax because I have the disease of alcoholism. If I have a drink an obsession kicks in for more. We like to put it this way, "One drink is too many and 1,000 drinks is not enough." "Normal" drinkers can apparently do as you said, have a drink to relax at the end of the day then get on with their life. I would suggest to anyone a better alternative to relax: find someone, look into each others eyes, let the picture form in your mind of who you imagine this person to be, then hit the mental "erase" button and let go of that picture. Then look deep into each others eyes and see each other fresh, new and reborn. Try it you'll be amazed.

Love is powerful. It just doesn't get experienced by enough people often enough.

You got me going. Thanks, I needed to hear myself and I hope it gives you something.

Peace Brother.

SpringWind

No comments: