Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Launch is approaching


Here is a photo of my lover, my partner, my friend, my teacher, Ellen and me at Tilden Park, in Berkeley, the weekend before last. This was our last trip together before I take off.



The following is my introduction for my travel journal at the Hippie Museum site. I will be posting here at my blog also. Sometimes the same posts, but here will generally be postings of a more personal nature and of broader scope.

What's So Funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding? That's what Elvis Costello asked. That's a question I will ask those I come in contact with as I bus across america. I will be leaving Sacramento by greyhound at 4:10 tomorrow afternoon. I'll be cruising through the Nevada desert at night then Wednesday traveling through Wyoming and Colorado. Wooo Hooo, that should be beautiful.

I'm not a trained writer. As a matter of fact I have always been light on grammar, spelling and structure. I had to learn how to do that stuff for college, but it was quite forced. What I do is stream of consciousness. I get going and just let it flow. Sometimes it is rambling and probably doesn't make much sense to anybody but me. Sometimes it comes out short without much there. But, what I am writing for, are those times when something opens up and special thoughts, ideas, perceptions and insights come rolling out. I am often surprised by what comes, even though I am aware of the information, something beyond me expresses it in a way that can be informing, stimulating or maybe even enlightening. At least for me, I hope in sharing this with you that it will be meaningful for you also.

So, what am I doing? I'm leaving Sacramento, to Travel to Ohio and back. This is the reverse of a hitchhiking trip I took in 1969, perhaps the peak year of my hippie experience. I am looking for what is happening on the road now relative to then. I am looking for what is happening on my inner road now compared to then. The hippie experience was the birth of my awareness. It created the moral foundation for my lifetime. Out of that experience ideals emerged that I have nurtured at the core of my being. I found a universe in scope beyond my imagination. I found the power and life-force of living, playing and working out of Love. I found an intense desire for justice. I found an intelligence in nature that I was blind to. I found a connection with an intelligent, creative Spirit that has entered my life in many ways, sometimes subtle, sometimes dramatic. So, what I am doing is revisiting that place of discovery in me, that happened so long ago yet so recently. I'm looking for the truth in those experiences that have been shrouded by delusions and mystery. I'm looking for myself. I hope in so doing I might also help someone else, maybe you who are reading this, discover something more about yourself. The phrase "Know thyself" is so simple, but yet profound. It is perhaps the only reason we are here in these physical bodies, to have experiences that lead us out of the darkness and into the light.

It's 3:00 A.M. and I'm heading for my bed for the last time for the next 30 days. Sweet dreams and angels be with you, as I would say to my children every night at bedtime.


Peace and Joy,

SpringWind

No comments: